Have you ever wondered how to become a leader? If so, this information is for you. First, nobody is born being a leader. So you can develop certain skills to become one. It’s just a matter of time, effort and practice. Here are the more important:
- Do what you say: this will give you credibility and trust with everyone else. Everybody wants a consistent person especially if that person is the leader. You will guide by example.
- Accept when you are mistaken: if being consistent brings credibility, wait to see what happens when you acknowledge your mistakes. Transparency is a must skill for a good leader. You’ll show your team you are a human being…honest and that you are also open to feedback.
- Know your people and search for talent: take your time to know each person of your team. You can be amazed by how much you can learn with a conversation, so be a good listener. Give them tasks to maximize their key abilities. To help them be experts on what they are good at.
- Be part of your team: give them recognition for their work. This will help you empower your employees: letting them know that you will be there guiding and recognizing them. And showing them that everything starts as a team, going for a greater good: the one of the company.
- Motivate employees to learn: teach them how to apply what they have learned. This includes not only a new concept but from their mistakes. Nothing is more motivational than seeing the results of what we learned…and how we have grown.
With all these being said, you can inspire people to do their job and be with your team. Becoming a leader also means to continue learning new concepts and be updated on relevant topics. And after you achieve these, you can rely on several digital tools that can make your work easier.
By Mónica Ramírez Chimal, Partner of Asserto RSC, Mexico City